Inspiration xpd, Inspiration evp or Inspiration evo?
Choosing your rebreather is the most important diving equipment decision you may ever have to make. There are some important questions you should ask before you invest.
The AP Inspiration range can be configured from recreational to technical CCR spec - so whichever model you choose, it will develop with you as you progress.
REBREATHER COMPARISON TABLE
|Wing & Counterlung Colours||Gray / Black or Yellow / Black||Gray / Black or Yellow / Black||Gray / Black or Yellow / Black|
|Case Colour Option||Yellow or Black||Yellow or Black||Yellow or Black|
|Integrated Weight Harness Size||S, M, L, XL, XXL||S, M, L, XL, XXL||S, M, L, XL, XXL|
|Wing Size||16KG or 22.5KG||16KG||16KG|
|Counterlung Option||Over the Shoulder or Back Mounted||Over the Shoulder or Back Mounted||Over the Shoulder or Back Mounted|
|Over-the-Shoulder Counterlung Size||M L XL||M L XL||M L XL|
|Back Mounted Counterlung Size||Small or Standard||Small or Standard||Small or Standard|
|Trim Weight Pockets||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Automatic Diluent Valve (ADV)||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Auto Air for Open Circuit Bailout||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Open Circuit Bailout Valve (OCB)||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Recreational 1 and 2 Software||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Nitrox Deco Software||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|CO2 Scrubber Monitor (Tempstik)||Optional||Optional||Optional|
|Communicator Software & PC Interface||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Dual Power Supplies||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Battery Status Indicator||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Sealed Battery Box||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Automatic Setpoint Switch||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Some points to consider when making your choice…
The difference between the 3 models?
This can be summed up quite simply: Inspiration… Small, Medium and Large.
They are identical apart from chassis length and they have different sizes (durations) of scrubber unit and cylinders. All 3 models have the same spec in terms of build quality, control systems and upgrade options. (exception: only the larger unit – the Inspiration xpd – can upgrade to a 22kg wing because of it’s chassis size)
So which Inspiration model is right for me?
The answer to this will be a balance between the type of diving you plan to do and how much importance you give to the size and weight of the unit chosen in relation to your body frame size.
Points to consider:
- All 3 units can be dived to technical depths with appropriate planning for diluent gas mix and off-board bailout gas contingencies.
- When flying abroad you can reduce hold luggage weight by about 10kg on all units by packing the scrubber and head in your hand luggage and using the dive resort’s cylinders.
- Each model has a full range of harness sizes from small to XXL.
- There is a only a 5kg difference in ready-to-dive weight between the xpd and the evo.
- All 3 units are approved (and can be spec’d for all training levels Rec to Tec) by TDI, IANTD, ANDI, IART, ETDS, PTA, SSI, ITDA, BSAC, PSA and RAID and PADI.
So, we seem to be saying any model is right for you. To an extent this is true.
- If diving the unit without additional bailout contingency, the Inspiration xpd with 3 litre cylinders and 3 hour scrubber may be the unit of choice if you intend to do multiple repeat dives without refilling consumables between dives.
- Typical consumption per dive is about 30 bar from each cylinder so you would generally have sufficient bailout redundancy for subsequent dives with all units. However, psychologically, you may feel more comfortable with the unit with the larger cylinders.
- The smaller units may be a better choice if you intend to frequently fly abroad to dive. Although, with AP’s extensive global support network, the heavy items – cylinders and sofnolime – can be sourced locally.
- The smaller units may be the best choice if they are a better fit to your body shape and size (especially your back length) and you place greater importance on fit and pre-dive comfort than other considerations.